The aim of this Bachelor’s study programme is to develop the qualities of future information professionals and to provide meaningful further education to specialists from practice. Graduates are trained to be able to deal with theoretical and practical, methodological, and ethical issues of information science and librarianship. They include, in particular, orientation in literature and information resources provided by libraries and other memory institutions, management of library and information systems, education in media and information literacy, and complex work with information resources. The aim of the bachelor's study is to give students a terminological basis, to familiarize them with the functioning of libraries and information services, to teach them in this field to work with modern technologies, procedures and their applications and to seek effective problem solving. Strong emphasis is placed on developing life-long learning and creative thinking.
The aim of the workplace is to prepare specialists for the practice, who
(a) work with data and information in different professional positions in a critical and ethical manner;
b) control digital technologies, devices, information systems and applications applied in human interaction with information;
c) are media and information literate, can purposefully make information available to users and actively operate in the public space and civil society.
Bachelor's degree graduate goes into practice with the knowledge and skills needed to perform the profession of an information and knowledge expert, as well as to apply in other positions focused on complex work with information and data.
Mandatory part of the study is completing the practical subjects Reference and information services 1 and 2 at the Central Library of the Faculty of Arts at the Masaryk university. Depending on their own specialization, students must complete at least one semester of practical training within the Practice and Internship, Terrain Project, Research Seminar, or Long-Term Internship Abroad.
Graduates are prepared to master the theoretical, methodological and ethical fundamentals of information science and librarianship, the creation and management of library and information systems, information education, work with information sources in digital libraries and database centers. They are able to apply theoretical knowledge in library and information practice using modern information and communication technologies. Within elective courses, they can focus on developing information services, processes and technologies to ensure them, work with literature and information resources, or providing information support to science.
Graduates will be employed in job positions focused on complex work with information:
- Libraries (professional librarians in the position of an acquirer, cataloger, collection manager, library systems administrator, teaching librarian, child librarian, reference librarian, search engineer, information services worker);
- Academic workplaces (academic librarians and experts providing information support to science and research);
- Information services in the public, non-profit and commercial sector (information systems experts, information management, analysis and interpretation of information, own business in the field of providing information services);
- Media, PR, advertising agencies (editors, publishers, redactors, information analysts);
- Advisory and educational activities (information systems experts, data and information management, information services design, informal and continuing vocational education lecturers).
|1 November 2019 –
29 February 2020
|Deadline for applications|
An example of your study plan:
A graduate of a bachelor's degree program may (after fulfilling the admission requirements) continue in any follow-up Master's degree. He or she can continue to study in a direct follow-up master's program in Information Studies and Librarianship at the Faculty of Arts of the Masaryk University.
|Provided by||Faculty of Arts|
|Type of studies|
|Standard length of studies||3 years|
|Language of instruction||Czech|
Do you have any questions?
Send us an e-mail
PhDr. Petr Škyřík, Ph.D.